I Coached 50+ Executives Through Their Breaking Point—Here's What Actually Works
Three years ago, I had a conversation that changed everything about how I work with leaders.
I was coaching a founder, let's call him Marcus, who'd built a $10 million revenue company in less than five years. By every external measure, he was killing it. But during our session, he started crying. Not because something went wrong. Because everything was going right, and he still felt like he was failing.
"I don't understand," he said. "I have the best coach, the best team, the best systems. I've read every book. I've optimized everything. But I still feel like I'm drowning. What's wrong with me?".
That moment cracked open something for me. Because I realized Marcus wasn't the problem. His systems weren't the problem. The problem was that nobody had actually addressed what happens inside a leader when they're running at the edge of their capacity.
Over the next three years, I systematically worked with dozens of executives and founders facing exactly what Marcus described. The successful ones. The ones who'd "made it." The ones with the best productivity hacks and the best teams and the deepest drive.
And I discovered something that completely shifted how I approach coaching.
The Pattern Nobody Talks About
Here's what I noticed: almost every high-performing leader I worked with was operating from a place of hidden depletion.
They'd wake up at 5 AM. They'd crush their morning routine. They'd meditate for 10 minutes, work out, cold shower, drink their green juice. Then they'd open their laptop and the entire day would become a series of fires to put out.
They'd go to bed exhausted, wake up at 5 AM again, and repeat.
The strange part? They didn't see this as a problem. They saw it as the cost of success. "This is what it takes," they'd say. "Everyone at this level operates like this."
But here's what I observed: they weren't actually operating well. They were just operating fast.
Their decision-making was reactive. Their strategic thinking was shallow. Their emotional intelligence, which was their greatest asset, was completely offline by 3 PM every day. They were irritable with their teams over small things. They were anxious about problems they couldn't control. They were making expensive decisions from a place of depletion.
One executive told me: "I optimize for everything. Except I think I'm broken."
He wasn't broken. He was just running on a system designed for temporary crisis, but he was treating it like a permanent operating condition.
What Separates the Stuck From the Breakthrough Leaders
After working with 50+ leaders, I started to see a clear pattern. Some leaders hit the wall and stayed there. Others hit the wall and broke through it, sometimes spectacularly.
The difference wasn't their intelligence, their work ethic, or their resources. It was something else entirely.
The leaders who broke through had one thing in common: they stopped trying to do more and started trying to be different.
Specifically, they worked on three things:
1. They Got Real About Their Actual Capacity
Most leaders I worked with had never actually measured their capacity. They just had a vague sense of "I'm overloaded" or "Something's off."
But measurement changes everything.
I worked with one leader, let's call her Sarah, who was running a scaling tech company. She felt constantly behind. So we tracked three things for a week: when did she have her clearest thinking? When was she most emotionally reactive? How much sleep was she actually getting?
The data was shocking. She had maybe 3-4 hours of genuine cognitive capacity per day. She was working 12-hour days. Do the math, she was spending 8-9 hours per day making decisions on cognitive fumes.
No wonder she felt behind. She wasn't actually working 12 hours. She was working 3-4 hours hard, then 8 hours of zombie mode.
Once she measured this, everything changed. She stopped adding more to her plate. She started protecting her peak hours ferociously. She said no to meetings before 10 AM. She stopped working after 6 PM.
Her output actually increased, because she was doing her real work during her real capacity, not during her exhausted-default-mode.
2. They Redesigned Their Nervous System Response
This is the one that seems to surprise people, but it's actually the most powerful.
Every high-performing leader I've worked with has a hyperactive nervous system. They're wired to notice threats, respond quickly, and execute under pressure. This is why they became high-performers in the first place.
But here's the problem: their threat detection system never turns off.
A minor team conflict feels like a crisis. A challenging market condition feels like an existential threat. An email from a competitor triggers a stress response. Their nervous system is basically running a constant low-level panic.
This is exhausting. And it makes you stupid. When you're in threat-detection mode, you can't access your best thinking.
The breakthrough leaders did something counterintuitive. Instead of trying to think their way out of stress (which just keeps them in their head), they worked on their nervous system directly.
This looked different for different people. For one CEO, it was daily ice baths, something about the cold exposure reset her nervous system. For another, it was 20 minutes of breathwork before he started his day. For a third, it was a non-negotiable daily walk in the park.
The specific practice didn't matter. What mattered was that they were working to shift from threat-detection mode to calm presence.
Once they did, their leadership completely changed. They could be with difficult situations without being overwhelmed by them. They could make better decisions. They could actually think strategically instead of reactively.
3. They Stopped Confusing Busy With Important
This one sounds simple, but it's the hardest to implement.
Almost every stuck leader I worked with was running 12+ meetings per day. They were saying yes to everything. They were responding to every email in their inbox.
They confused volume with importance.
The breakthrough leaders did something radical: they got really, really selective.
One founder I worked with cut his meetings from 14 per day to 4 per day. He said no to things that didn't directly impact the company's core strategy. He delegated ruthlessly—not because he didn't care, but because he understood that his actual capacity was finite.
His team initially freaked out. "Where is he? He's never available anymore!"
But within three months, his team was actually better led. Because when he did show up, he showed up fully present, strategically thinking, emotionally available.
He wasn't running at 60% for 12 hours. He was running at 100% for 4 hours.
The Breakthrough Results
Here's what's interesting: when leaders actually expanded their capacity instead of trying to do more within it, the results were almost always the same.
They did less. They achieved more.
One executive reduced her direct responsibilities by 30% and her company's revenue grew 40% in the next year, because she was finally leading strategically instead of operationally.
A founder cut his working hours to 35 per week and his team's productivity increased. Not because everyone else was working harder, because he was no longer in crisis mode, and that calm rippled through the entire organization.
A CEO took a month off and came back to find his company ran better without him constantly involved.
These aren't anomalies. They're the pattern.
What This Actually Takes
I want to be honest about something: this work isn't easy. It requires you to question everything you've believed about success.
It requires you to admit that your current approach, the one that got you here, might not work to get you further.
It requires you to slow down when every fiber of your being says to speed up.
It requires you to trust that expansion happens through restoration, not through exhaustion.
But if you're hitting a wall, if you've done everything "right" and something still feels off, this might be the missing piece.
Where to Begin
If any of this resonates, here's what I recommend:
First: Do an honest audit. Track your energy and focus for one week. When are you actually capable of good thinking? When are you just going through the motions?
Second: Pick one area to focus on. Not all three. Just one. Maybe it's your nervous system. Maybe it's your calendar. Maybe it's your sleep. Pick what feels most urgent.
Third: Do something small and consistent. Not revolutionary. Just something that moves you in the right direction.
The leaders who break through aren't the ones who work hardest. They're the ones who work smarter by first understanding what they actually have to work with.
Your capacity isn't fixed. But expanding it requires working on yourself first, and your systems second.

Comments
Post a Comment